World Water Day: Why do we need to preserve the elixir of life

saving fresh water

Today is world water day!! We usually do not realize the importance of something when it is readily available around us! That is the same case with our hero for the day, Mr. Water!

Water is called the elixir of life! About 70% of the body mass of a normal human is water. While a person can survive for a couple of weeks without food, it takes only 3-5 days for him/her to die without water.

Come let’s check out more about this wonder liquid and why it is so important for our survival.

We all know water is a chemical combination of 2 parts of hydrogen and one part of oxygen. At different temperatures, water takes different forms like ice and vapor. Approximately, water covers around 71% of the entire earth, but unfortunately, only 2.5 % of it is fresh water.

world water day

World water day

Since 1993, March 22 has been observed as world water day by the United Nations general assembly. Every year, the UN assembly takes various issues relating to water and tries to educate people on the importance of saving fresh water.

Why does human body need water?

There are few very important roles water plays in a human body:

world water day

  1. Carrying essential nutrients, glucose, vitamins and minerals to each and every cell of the body
  2. Facilitating digestion of food.
  3. Lubricating various joints
  4. Regulating the body temperature based on the external temperature. Excess heat from the body is eliminated by sweating
  5. Water acts as a protective shock absorption mechanism for vital organs like brain, eyes etc.
  6. Removing toxins and other products rejected by our cells from the body through faeces and urine

 Why do we feel thirsty?

Human body is very interesting to study! The brain is the super power, aware of every small thing happening around it. Whenever the brain feels that the water quantity in the body is lesser than the normal amount, it signals the body to intake fluid. This is called thirst. If there was no signal sent by the brain, then the volume of water decreases and this may even lead to death.

world water day

Effects of dehydration

Inadequate consumption of water or excess loss of water from the body leads to dehydration. Over 10 % loss in body water leads to physical and mental deterioration. If the body loses more than 10-15% of body water, it can turn fatal.

world water day

Mild dehydration can cause thirst, headache, dizziness, dry mouth, tiredness and when the severity increases, the person may experience spasms in muscle, wrinkled skin, nausea, decreased vision and in extreme cases, death.

About 80% of water we intake comes from the fluid we drink (water and other beverages) and the remaining 20% from the food we intake. Irrespective of the gender, we need 2-3 liters of water every day to stay healthy.

Apart from drinking water, water is needed for everyday purposes from bathing,  cleaning, agriculture to recreational purposes.

What is our responsibility?

world water day

Apart from keeping ourselves healthy and hydrated, saving fresh water is something all of us need to keep in mind. There are still several thousand people without access to fresh water and UN reports say that since 1900 more than 11 million people have died as a consequence of drought and more than 2 billion have been affected by drought, more than any other physical hazard.

Do not leave taps open and as far as possible try to use water effectively and efficiently. Let us leave behind enough fresh water for our future generation!

Lets pray that the next world war is not about fighting for this wonderful savior of life.


Janani Balasubramanian is a Senior Blogger at with a passion and flare to write. She loves experimenting on topics ranging from health to beauty tips and general lifestyle and will review newer beauty and healthcare products in the market! Do keep in touch with her new work here!

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *