An uninterrupted peaceful sleep and a good laugh can have the power to cure anything. Sleep plays an essential role in an individual’s life. It is nothing but a relaxed state of body and mind wherein the muscles are relaxed, the cells of the body regains its energy, there is better blood circulation and the brain remains active yet gets recharged. Generally a person requires minimum 8 hours of sleep.
There are two types of sleep.
Firstly, the Rapid Eye Movement sleep wherein it takes place within the first 90 minutes a person falls asleep and there is fast movement of the eyes. The breathing can get irregular and faster and the brain remains active exactly the way it is when the person is awake.
Secondly, the Non-Rapid Eye Movement sleep wherein the person rarely or doesn’t experience any dream. It can last for 5-15mins. It tends to strengthen the immune system. The person breathes slowly as well.
So because of the modern lifestyle there are a huge number of people who suffer due to the sleeping problems like :
- Restless leg syndrome : Here the person tends to move the limbs many a times. They can even kick in their sleep. They feel very restless just constantly move their legs when in rest which can worsen up with age.
- Sleep walking : Here the person just starts randomly walking in their sleep. They won’t be aware of it either. It commonly occurs among children.
- Insomnia : This is quite common. Happens to people who undergo a lot of anxiety, stress, tension etc. They find it difficult to complete the sleep cycle at one stretch. It can easily make a person feel very tired.
- Sleep terrors: Here the person experiences constant fear and tends to cry and scream as well. The person can even sleep walk. They tend to experience nightmares.
- Grinding of the teeth : It happens again due to tension, depression, anxiety etc. It can be painful. One can tend to experience facial pain, swelling of the jaw etc.
- Jet lag: This happens to people who travel a lot. When one travels from one country to another there’s a vast difference in the timing. They tend to feel very drowsy and take time to adjust to the time zone.
To overcome several problems one should have a proper sleep pattern. Healthy sleep can aid a person in quite a few ways. Benefits of having a healthy sleep are as follows :
- It can maintain your blood pressure.
- It can reduce stress and tension.
- It can make you look fresh and feel active.
- It can help you in maintaining weight.
- It can improve your memory
- It can help you in having a better immune system.
- Lowers the risk of health problems.
- It can make a person’s mood better.
- It can help in better interaction and socializing.
All should have a healthy sleep and to maintain one they can follow few tips like having a relaxation routine, maintaining a particular sleeping pattern, doing regular exercises or yoga, eating healthy, avoiding power naps in the noon, avoiding high consumption of cigarettes and alcohol and having a well maintained room with a comfortable mattress and less noise. Hence they maintain a healthy well being.
In today’s fast-paced world, a good night’s sleep has become something of an indulgence. It’s fallen down our list of priorities behind work, chores, social time, and entertainment.
A lack of sleep at night can make you cranky the next day. And over time, skimping on sleep can mess up more than just your morning mood.
Sleep needs vary, but on average, regularly sleeping more than 9 hours a night may do more harm than good.
Your best bet is to shoot for 7-8 hours of slumber each night for peak health benefits.