If you think that meat is the only source of protein then how do vegans and vegetarians get the protein required by the body? Well, if you are one among these groups and are still looking out for the best sources of protein, then you need to check this article. We will be explaining about a few of the best protein sources for vegans and vegetarians. The best part about these protein-rich foods for vegetarians is that they are easily available.
Proteins, which mainly comprise of amino acids, is an important component required for the maintenance of cells and tissues. When the body lacks in adequate protein it hampers the functioning of the cells and the tissues and can lead to several health problems.Hence, having an adequate amount of protein that the body requires is highly essential for the proper functioning of the body. Also, protein is required to keep up the energy level in human beings. If you are into a lot of physical activities, protein is required.
Listed here are a few of the best sources of proteins for vegans and vegetarians. Take a look.
1. Soy milk – Soy milk is rich in protein and also an important source of vitamin D, B12 and calcium.A “good” source of a nutrient supplies 10 to 19 percent of the recommended dietary intake for that nutrient, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s definition. The daily recommended intake for protein is 46 grams for women and 56 grams for men. Soy milk qualifies as a good source of protein for both women and men.
2. Oats – Oats are not just rich in protein and fibre but also a good source of magnesium and zinc. So those of you who are vegans and vegetarians can have half a cup of oats every day to get the required protein.dding a serving of oats to your daily diet is a way to get just a bit more protein. Generally, the more processed oats are, the less protein they’ll have. No matter which variety you choose, though, oats can give you as much as 10 percent to 14 percent of your protein needs for the day, if you follow a 2,000-calorie diet.
3. Nuts – Nuts like almonds, cashews and walnuts are not just rich in healthy fats but they are also a good source of protein.Nuts and seeds are a heart healthy snack. Almonds, in particular, have been proven to lower cholesterol. In addition to being a good source of fiber and fats, nuts can also be a good source of protein.
4. Chia seeds – A rich source of protein, chia seeds are also an excellent source of vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients. Chia seeds are among the healthiest foods on the planet.They are loaded with nutrients that can have important benefits for your body and brain.
5. Quinoa – Most people are still not aware of the health benefits of quinoa, but it is one of the best sources of protein and fibre for those who are vegetarians.The problem is that many plant foods are deficient in certain essential amino acids, such as lysine. However, quinoa is an exception to this, because it contains all the essential amino acids. For this reason, it is an excellent source of protein. It has both more and better protein than most grains.
6. Spirulina – Spirulina contains a rich amount of protein. In addition, it also has other nutrients like magnesium, potassium and fatty acids that are essential for the body. Spirulina is a natural “algae” (cyanbacteria) powder that is incredibly high in protein and a good source of antioxidants, B-vitamins and other nutrients. It is largely made up of protein and essential amino acids, and is typically recommended to vegetarians due to its high natural iron content.
7. Lentil – Rich in proteins, fibre and antioxidants, lentils help in maintaining the gut. Also, it helps in reducing the risk of several health issues like diabetes and cancer as well.Rich in proteins, fibre and antioxidants, lentils help in maintaining the gut. Also, it helps in reducing the risk of several health issues like diabetes and cancer as well.
8. Tofu – Tofu is made out of soybean and is one of the best sources of protein. Not just protein, it also consists of several other nutrients that our body requires. One can use tofu to prepare curries.Tofu is a good source of protein and contains all eight essential amino acids. It is also an excellent source of iron and calcium and the minerals manganese, selenium and phosphorous. In addition, tofu is a good source of magnesium, copper, zinc and vitamin B1.