Diabetics, one such disease that offers few or no warning signs at the early stage. We have to first clearly understand what leads to diabetics, step to be taken to control or prevent it in the long run. The energy that is produced is generated from the glucose that is produced from breaking down of food. It the duty of the insulin to prevent the glucose from getting mixed in the blood. Due to improper levels of insulin the glucose gets mixed with the blood leading to raise in the blood sugar levels.
There are 3 types of diabetes:
- Type 1 caused due to the lack of insulin
- Type 2 caused by ineffective use of insulin. Can be prevented compared to type 1.
- Gestational diabetes-It is characterized by raised blood sugar level with values above normal during pregnancy.
Some of the risk factors are:
- Lack of physical activity
- Parent with diabetics
- High blood pressure levels
Some of the measures to be taken to prevent it are as follows:
- Physical activity
A person must follow these 3 rules patiently from months to years to get the best results.
Let us understand how diet can play a major role on keeping the sugar levels at control.
- One must avoid the food that causes a sudden increase in the sugar levels like processed foods, food with high fat content and food that has a lot of sugar present in them.
- Processed foods not only affect the sugar levels but also lead to overweight.
- The amount of carbohydrates intake must also be watched. Glycemic index (GI) determines how the presence of carbohydrates affects the sugar levels.
- Foods with low GI levels raise the sugar levels slowly and make the person feel full for a longer time.
- On the other hand the food with high GI levels leads to sudden increase in the sugar levels and also makes you feel hungry all the time.
- Eat small sized portions at regular interval of time, to avoid gaining weight.
- Include a lot of low GI food like green vegetables, apples, oranges, watermelon and pineapple.
- Stay away from bananas, grapes and mangoes.
- Include whole grains, legumes and fish.
- Limit the intake of desserts.
- Patients can also try DIA HEALTH TEA. It helps in
- Regulating the insulin levels
- Lowers cholesterol levels
- Reduces sugar craving among kids and adults
- Controls obesity.
Thumb rule for diabetics
- Time of the food intake is equally important as the kind of food we eat.
- Must avoid long gaps. A gap of more than 3 hours must be avoided.
- The sugar levels must be monitored before going to bed and after waking up.
- Before going to bed if the levels seems to be low it is recommended to take carbohydrate that will long last which prevents from night time risk.
Meal plan methods
There are 2 ways to keep a watch on the intake of food .
Method 1 : Plate method
This method controls the portion size. It best works for diner and lunch. Non starchy food must cover half of the plate. Protein must cover quarter of the plate and starchy food the other quarter. Can also include a bowl of fruits or drink a small glass of milk.
Method 2: Carbohydrate method
It helps to keep a track of amount of carbs. It helps in managing the blood glucose level. This amount is measured in grams. Take carbs in the form of vegetables, fruits, beans and low fat milk.
In order to lead healthy life planning ahead is very important. Regular discussion with the physician will help us plan and develop a routine. By maintaining a routine we can know in case if we are going off track.