The term fetal relates to fetus, Fetus means the developing young one in the uterus.
Doppler is a diagnostic instrument that radiates an ultrasonic beam of wave in body. The ultrasound beam reflected from moving structure changes its frequency.
Read on to know about this great useful thing.
What is Fetal Doppler?
A Fetal Doppler is a diagnostic instrument used to detect and measure the fetal heart rate.
A Fetal Doppler is one type of fetal monitoring. It’s a handheld ultrasound device which is used to transmit the sound of baby’s Heart Beat through a headphone or speakers.
This device can pick up the Heart Beat after 9 weeks gestation.
Advantages of using Fetal Doppler:
- It is Non-invasive.
- The purpose of fetal Doppler is to give peace of mind that your baby is doing well.
- Very useful in cases of high-risk pregnancies.
- Fetal Doppler can give a unique bonding experience with the baby before birth.
- It has no negative side effects.
How it Works:
It works on principle of Doppler Effect.
Usually a Fetal Doppler have a control handset, a speaker for listening, transducer probe that you cover with ultrasound gel and hold against your lower abdomen.
The transducer probe sends ultrasound frequency through body. When waves encounter moving objects such as baby heartbeat. It bounce back and its frequency changes. The device then translates the movement into sound wave and amplifies it for hearing.
What’s the difference between a Sonograph and a Fetal Doppler?
This question is very important. It is important to understand the difference between hand-held fetal doppler and a sonograph (2D, 3D, or 4D ultrasound) machine.
The exposure of sonograph ultrasound frequency is very large in comparison to convenient fetal Doppler.
The FDA regulates the ultrasound emission range for sonograph and fetal Doppler. Emission Limit for fetal Doppler is set by Food and Drug Administration.
The hand-held fetal Doppler purpose is to measure blood flow and confirm the fetal heart beat, which takes less than 10 minutes.
Testing and monitoring done during sonograph has increased time to 20 – 60 minutes approx. Which in turn exposes the fetal to higher ultrasound frequencies.
Fetal dopplers are regulated by FDA and have been approved for in house usage after getting a approval from doctor or physician.
Few tips on using Fetal Doppler:
- Fetal Doppler heartbeat monitors are diagnostic monitors, which should not be replaced to consultation with doctor.
- Fetal heart beat can be detected as early as 8-12 weeks. In early stages, Heart beat can be slow which isn’t a reason for concern.
- Be patient, in the early stages.
- It is suggested that you use Fetal Doppler in short intervals, infrequently.
- You’ll need gel formulated for use with ultrasound.