Increasing diabetic rate in kids is becoming an alarming issue. WHO conducted a research to find out how many kids are becoming victims of this disease. It has been found that the type 1 diabetic in children is increased by 21% and type 2 increased by 30%.
Type 1 diabetics in children are previously known as juvenile diabetics. This happens due to lesser levels of insulin production. Children suffering from this condition must monitor their sugar levels with balanced diet and exercise which helps them to maintain the level within the target range.
Type 2 diabetics are less common in kids. This condition can be managed through change in diet pattern, maintaining weight through exercise. The major factors that cause type 2 diabetics are:
- Close relative with type 2 diabetics
- High cholesterol levels
- Dark patches on the skin
- High blood pressure
- Increased thirst
- Frequent urination
For type 1 the symptom is weight loss and for type 2 kids may develop velvety patches on skin. The symptoms of type 1 can be easily sensed as it occurs very rapidly whereas for type 2 it develops slowly and may take months to get diagnosed.
Many times this goes unnoticed as the awareness levels of diabetics in kids are less. According to a survey only 9% of the parents were able to identify the symptoms.
Type 1 diabetics can’t be prevented. Activities like breast feeding, avoiding early introduction of solid foods may lower the risk. Sometimes type 2 diabetics can be prevented. The common causes of type 2 diabetics are overweight, sedentary lifestyle. Usually this type of diabetics affects mostly adults; due to increase obesity rates in kids we can find many suffering from it.
By changing the food pattern type 2 diabetic can be delayed up to certain extent. The following diet can be used to prevent your kids from getting diabetics.
- Avoid junk food like candy, soft drinks, cookies and chips
- Can provide healthier food options for snacks like fruits, carrots, low fat milk and low sugar breakfast cereals.
- Increase the intake of whole grain instead of refined food like whole wheat bread and brown rice.
- Limit the visits to the fast food joints.
- Follow proper timings.
- Serve in smaller portions.
- Avoid deep fried food items.
Along with the food certain supplements can also be taken which will enhance the delay process.
GLUCERNA SR – VANILLA POWDER
It is preferable for kids above 10 years, many like flavored based drinks and also it has many benefits like
- Optimize glycemic response
- Healthy snack alternative
- Gluten free
- Sucrose free
It’s not just the food that has to be taken care of also the physical activities and exercises must be regularly monitored. To make your kids more active
- Limit the amount of time spent in front of TV and other gadgets.
- Make them do small household work.
- Make them go by walk for smaller distances.
- Plan activities where the whole family can take part.
Along with these activities it is the parent’s responsibility to take their kids for regular medical checkups.
If your kid is diagnosed with type 2 diabetics there are 3 things that have to be taken care of. They are
- Make the glucose level to come back to normal as much as possible.
- Get the A1 C levels to normal.
- Monitor the eyes, kidneys and heart health.