Detoxification (“detox”) diets and regimes apparently eradicate the body of chemicals and toxins and to an extent are a means to lose weight. Most detox diets promote herbs, pills, potions, and/or fasts to rid the body of impurities.It has been practiced for hundreds of years by cultures across the globe including Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine systems. It is all about relaxing, cleansing and nourishing the body from the inside out. By eliminating toxins and with the intake of healthy nutrients, detoxifying can help protect you from illness and refurbish your ability to remain healthy. Many religions also stir people to fast as a means of cleansing both the body and the mind for spiritual practices.
12 Natural Ways of Detoxification:
- Eat plenty of fibre, including brown rice and organic fresh fruits and vegetables. Beets, radishes, cabbage, broccoli, and seaweed are excellent detoxifying foods.
- Cleansing of the liver can be done by having a diet of more bitter greens and chlorophyll juices such as wheat-grass and dandelion greens. Other liver appealing foods can be carrots, celery, lemons, beets, burdock, and milk thistle. Drinking green tea also helps in detoxifying.
- Spices that offer cleansing effects on the liver include turmeric, rosemary and cumin
- Vitamin C intake can help the body produce glutathione, a liver composite that drives away toxins.
- Liquid cleanse involves the use of fresh organic fruit and vegetable juices, soups, smoothies, oils such as flax, hemp, coconut, sesame or pumpkin seed oil, and fresh
- Juice fasts consists of consuming only freshly juiced fruits and vegetables for a couple of days or longer. Cleansing fruits and veggies include apples, carrots, beets, ginger root, spinach, pears, celery, kale, cabbage, pineapple, cranberry, and other dark leafy greens. Citrus fruits are usually avoided while fasting.
- Drink at least two quarts of water per day.
- Breathe deeply to allow complete circulation of oxygen through your system.
- Hydrotherapy can be accomplished by taking a very hot shower for five minutes, allowing the water to run on your back, followed by cold water for 30 seconds. Do this three times, and then get into bed for half an hour.
- Sweat in a steam bath so that your body can eliminate waste through perspiration.
- Dry-brush your skin or try detox foot spas to remove toxins through your pores.
- Exercise is an important way to detoxify your body. Doing yoga 1 hour every day helps in the process.
So, the question is will detoxing your body lead to weight loss? Of course it will, initially, when you are cutting out 2,500 to 1,000 calories each day. Striking out junk food out of your diet and substituting it with organic fruits, vegetables and juice will certainly make you cause a significant amount of weight loss.